Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Art and Snow

Saw the Jenny Holzer exhibit at the MCA last night.

Wow.

It was intense and wonderful. An assault on the senses that distilled violence, fear, power, yearning, loneliness. I love her work so much. I usually turn away from art that's about this kind of heavy stuff, but not in her case. She makes it relatable to me.

I'm so glad I went even though it was windy and snowing hard and the Michigan ave bus was packed and cranky and barely moving. I would have been better off plowing through the snow in my sneakers then smelling a mystery fart and reading a Vogue the woman sitting close to me was reading.

Also nice about going on a weather watch day was the MCA was not packed but sprinkled with dewy young art students even though it was Free day. I wanted to gather up some skinny bespectacled, bearded art students and hold them close and smell the dust in their hair and the hope and pomposity that clings to them with hints of coffee and marijuana. It would be an enjoyable high I know, but like wildlife in the park, I should leave them alone so the next person with an unrelated to semi-related job and a BFA can enjoy them too. That's just being responsible.

No comments: