Friday, December 5, 2008

soapbox climb #499

I always roll my eyes when a woman brags that she was a tomboy when she was a girl. If I don't actually roll my eyes I hold it in like a repressed sneeze. I think it hurts my brain or something. We all know Jo was the coolest Facts of Life girl, though Tootie was a close second, but come on. To me "Well I was a tom boy" is really code for "I'm cool because I'm not dumb like all the other girls are" It's stepping on the rest of us vagina holders to make the Tom Boy feel superior and join the boy team. Which is not nice is it?

Surprisingly, it comes up a lot and I'd like to condescendingly pat them on the head and drain the smugness out of their face and hand them a pink lolipop as I lean in and tell them "big fucking deal"

Anyways most little girls I've known are a combo of both with uncombed tangled hair with a grotesquely elaborate barrette on top.

The End. I read a "well I was a tomboy" comment today and it set me off.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Sometimes I remember the day I caught a lizard in my First Communion dress...then I think, oh yeah, you were 8...who gives a shit? :)