Tuesday, December 23, 2008

A Bender

I was given a gift card today, one of those cards you use as a credit card but it only has a set amount on it. So after work I went to Borders and I bought some stationary, then a calendar - not just any calendar however, a Dirty Dancing calendar. With that score I was gaining momentum and I browsed the literature aisles and picked up Middlemarch and Dostoevsky's The Idiot. I put them down among some romance novels when I realized I needed something modern and not quite so dense. 'Sides I'm already reading Nabakov, too much Russian back to back then. I have to parcel that stuff out. So I picked up two Murakami books. A little dip East and South of Russia. There was a girl reading in the corner right in front of the Murakami books. She didn't move as my glove dangled out of my big orange parka and created shadows on her book. Now I wonder if she was dead. I could be one of those people other people yell at, "well how could THEY not notice she wasn't moving in a crowded downtown borders?!" oh the humanity! I think she was a painfully unhappy teenager who's mother abandoned her in a corner and she was reading and marking time before she could run away to Sweden where her online boyfriend is.

Anyhoo I love Murakami and I figured I could leave them for my mother when I was done. I don't like to collect books physically, just on a list in the internetness. I cleared out my books when I moved to a small apartment in Brooklyn and it felt freeing. Then I saw another book, a memoir by Gore Vidal. He's a naughty clever kitten so I picked that up and immediately thought of a friend who would like it too. Murakami and Vidal will be my cozy train mates as I go home. With that settled, I now have 13ish dollars on the gift card that I'll wait until I have to pay for something almost exactly that amount so I feel like I beat the MasterCard gift card system. I felt rich, I felt like other people must feel when they shop. It felt nice, but like most drugs, I can't afford the high.

Part 2 of my bender took place at Walgreens where I picked up a box of macaroni & cheese, chocolate/peanut butter, and a Dr Pepper. If I wasn't a Diva Cup girl there would be a box of OB in with that assembly.

Now my belly is sooo full and somehow the powdered electric orange cheese hasn't inhibited my ability to type.

The End.

No comments: